Excerpted from The Art of Cooking with Cannabis: CBD and THC-Infused Recipes from Across America by Tracey Medeiros (Skyhorse Publishing, May 2021)
Recipe by Tracey Medeiros , makes 4 servings
Grilled plums are one of my secret obsessions. During the summer when the farm stands are brimming with these juicy jewel-toned gems, this becomes my go-to summer salad. The flat iron steak is a tender cut of beef that has a rich, beefy flavor that pairs beautifully with stone fruits. For the most tender results, the steak is best cooked to an internal temperature of 130–135°F.
CBD-INFUSED HONEY APPLE CIDER VINAIGRETTE
• 1/2 teaspoon sesame seeds
• 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar, preferably FIRE BREW apple cider vinegar citrus
• 2 tablespoons honey, preferably The Queen’s Bounty Raw Blackberry Honey
• 1 tablespoon minced parsley
• 1/2 teaspoon chopped oregano
• 1/2 teaspoon fine-grain sea salt, or to taste
• 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
• 1/2 cup House of Spain CBD-infused EVOO Original Blend
• 6 quartered cherry tomatoes
To toast the sesame seeds: Place the sesame seeds in a small dry skillet, and toast, over medium heat, shaking and
stirring continuously, until they start to get fragrant, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
In a small bowl, combine the sesame seeds, vinegar, honey, parsley, oregano, salt, and pepper. In a steady stream, whisk in the olive oil until the vinaigrette is emulsified. Adjust seasonings with salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
Add the tomatoes to the vinaigrette 15 minutes before you intend to use.
FLAT IRON STEAK & GRILLED STONE FRUIT SALAD
FLAT IRON STEAK
• 1 tablespoon olive oil for brushing grill grate, or as needed
• 1 pound grass-fed flat iron steak, 1 inch thick
• Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
• 3 large ripe stone fruits, pitted and cut into 6 wedges each, such as peaches, plums, or apricots
• 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
• 1 (5 ounce) package baby arugula
• 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese, or to taste
• 1/2 cup coarsely chopped pecans
Heat a grill to high heat and generously brush the cooking grate with oil.
To make the flat iron steak: Pat the meat dry with paper towels, then season both sides with salt and pepper. Place the steak on the grill and cook for 5 minutes. Turn once and continue to cook until an instant-read thermometer reads between 130–135°F. Reduce the grill temperature to medium-high heat for the stone fruits.
Transfer the steak to a cutting board and tent lightly with foil and let rest for 10 minutes. Thinly slice the steak across the grain on a slight diagonal.
To grill the stone fruits: While the steak is resting, grill the fruits. Place the fruits in a large bowl and toss with the oil until evenly coated.
Place the fruits, cut-side down, on the grill and cook until well charred, about 3 minutes per side, depending on the size and ripeness. Transfer to the plate with the steaks.
To assemble the salad: Place the greens, cheese, and pecans in a large bowl. Toss with 1/4 cup of vinaigrette, adding more to taste. Fan the meat and fruit slices on top of the salad and drizzle with any accumulated juices. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve at once.
Need a little more Bluntness in your life? Subscribe for our newsletter to stay in the loop.