Healthy Rips released The ROGUE DHE (dry herb extractor) on May 5, 2021.
How does it stack up to its predecessors? Is it worth the upgrade if you already own a previous device from Healthy Rips?
We will get into all that and more in this review of The ROGUE.
The thing about dry herb vaping
If you haven’t started vaping your cannabis herb yet, you’re missing out!
With dry herb vaping, the right device allows you to get so much more out of your stash.
Dry herb vaping is considered the healthiest, most efficient way to administer cannabis via inhalation.
It tastes better, the effects are cleaner, and you won’t burn through your favorite strain so quickly compared to smoking.
However, finding a reliable, safe vaping device can be hard with so many options on the market today. It definitely requires a bit of homework and the ability to sniff out paid reviews versus honest ones.
The ROGUE Vaporizer by Healthy Rips
Healthy Rips is generally recognized as a favorite among vaping enthusiasts. Their FURY 2 was the first personal vaping device I was truly happy with. And the FURY EDGE – is a worthy upgrade.
These devices are great if you’re new to cannabis, new to vaping, and/or you want something portable, practical, and discreet.
The ROGUE does offer upgrades to the series, although if you already have a FURY EDGE V2 or a FIERCE in good condition, an upgrade may or may not be worth it, depending on your needs.
If you’re trying to choose between the two, perhaps this review will help you make up your mind.
Upgrades to The ROGUE include:
• Larger 13mm Chamber
• More Powerful Heater to accommodate for the larger chamber size
• 3000 mAh Battery provides ~85-100 minutes of use per charge (vs FURY EDGE ~75-90 minutes of use per charge)
• Faster Charging Capabilities 5V/2A (vs FURY EDGE 5V/1.5A)
• 3-8 Minute Adjustable Session Timer (vs FURY EDGE 3-7 minute adjustable session timer)
Key Nuances Consider
- The ROGUE is easier to draw from. It seems to extract from the plant material much more evenly and efficiently. This means bigger clouds at lower temperatures.
- It’s slightly bigger. The larger chamber requires more plant material (loosely packed), or you might need dosing capsules if you prefer smaller amounts.
- The batter life and charging times are good. This is the benefit of a slightly larger device. Kudos to Healthy Rips for continuing to push the envelope here, getting faster with each device.
- Heat-up time continues to improve. I never really had a complaint here. Some people want their vaporizers to heat up instantly, although they probably don’t remember when devices like this simply didn’t exist, and vaping wasn’t really an option unless you were into knife hits (look it up).
- The price point at $159 may seem steep to newcomers however this is quite competitive compared to some of the other models out there.
- The rubberized coating gives the device an extra solid, comfortable feel. After time the rubber coating can start to wear off. It won’t affect the performance of the device, just how it looks and feels.
- The mouthpiece does not come on and off very easily, which can be frustrating. A member on the Fuck Combustion forum suggested applying a bit of chapstick to the nubs that hold the mouthpiece in place. Problem solved.
- Accessories and adaptors for the mouthpiece are aplenty although I didn’t try any of them.
The Thing About Cleaning The ROGUE
Like any dry herb vape, The ROGUE requires regular cleaning. It can be hard to clean/reach the finer crevices inside the mouthpiece. If you’re not careful, unwanted resin and small bits of plant material will build up over time.
Some people recommend submerging the mouthpiece in alcohol for a proper cleaning.
The other potential issue with cleaning is that it is impossible to clean beneath the stainless-steel bowl.
After a few years of use, I hate to think what kind of resin may have accumulated beneath the bowl of my FURY 2, where the stainless heating element is housed. Maybe it’s totally clean, since airflow is going the opposite way; maybe not. When I’m ready to do a teardown of my old FURY 2, I’ll let The Bluntness audience know what I find!
Are These Devices Safe to Use?
Perhaps the biggest concern around any vaporizer device is health and safety. Healthy Rips devices have an isolated airpath made of food-grade stainless steel, which is important. The heating coil is also stainless steel, which at these temperatures is fairly low risk.
Healthy Rips devices are RoHS certified (Restriction of Hazardous Substances), however this certification – for any vaping device – does not cover all potential toxins.
According to rohsguide.com,“testing labs are beginning to find traces of other heavy metals such as cadmium, chromium, barium, silver, selenium, iron, manganese, nickel, and zinc” in a lot of vaping devices.
If you’re paranoid about this kind of thing, the Healthy Rips isolated air pathway is quite comforting. The electronics and the battery are completely separated from the airway, with the exception of the stainless-steel heating element and two small wires that connect to the heating element.
If you’re concerned about the potential of those two small wires potentially emitting traces of heavy metals into your body, you might consider a more higher-end vaping option where even greater airpath isolation has been achieved, such as the Davinci IQ2.
Of course, you could also have heavy metals or other contaminants in your cannabis and not even know it.
• Convection Heating Technology
• Protective 'Smell' Cover
• Accessories Attachment (holds glass attachments)
• OLED Digital Flip Screen
• Temperature Range 280°- 430°F
• Precision Temperature Control
• 3 Clicks On/Off
• Vibration Notifications
• Glass Vapor Path
• Alloy Unibody
• Size: 3.65” x 2.3” x 1.18” (92.5 x 57.8 x 30.1mm)
• Weight: 6.7 Ounces
• 13mm Chamber Capacity .175g to .205g
• Low Draw Resistance
• 25 Second Heat-up Time (almost on-demand vapor)
• Isolated Air Path - Food Grade Stainless Steel
• Food Grade Stainless Steel Chamber
• Stainless Steel Heating Coil
• USB-C Charging
• Charges in 75 - 90 Minutes
• Class A 3000 mAh Lithium Polymer Battery
• Provides approximately 85-100 minutes of battery use per charge
• Adjustable Auto Shut-off Protection Between 3-8 Minutes
• RoHS and CE Certified for 100% Health and Safety
What's in the Box:
• ROGUE Device
• Protective 'Smell' Cover
• Mouthpiece with Glass Vapor Path
• Accessories Attachment for Glass
• Glass Mouthpiece (Black) for Attachment
• USB-C Charging Cord
• Extra O-Ring & Screen Set
• Cleaning Tool
• Cleaning Brush
• User Manual
Final Verdict (and a note on vaping temperatures)
The ROGUE is a solid dry herb vaporizer, good for beginners or anybody who likes a smaller, more discreet device.
The larger chamber size could be a turn-off for some, although dosing caps are available, which essentially reduces the size of the chamber.
The level of airflow resistance is much more agreeable compared to previous Healthy Rips entries, which is perhaps my favorite improvement overall.
Some people complain of harsh clouds, however that could also be related to cranking the temperature too high or even bad weed.
Note on vaping temperature range: you can get clouds starting at 320F, stepping up the temp 10 degrees whenever you stop getting clouds. The ideal temp for vaping seems to be around 356F and there is no need to go much past 392F, according to this study by NORML/MAPS.
With a one-year free replacement warranty and a lifetime 1/2 price replacement warranty, this is a stand-out option at the given price range of $159.
Need a little more Bluntness in your life? Check out our YouTube page!