Here's the Scoop on Magic Mushroom Chocolate
By Daniel Gana
Psychedelic mushroom chocolates and other psilocybin products have recorded great success in clinical trials aimed at dealing with addictions, mental health, and anxiety. They also provide an awesome euphoric feeling.
The recent attention toward the therapeutic benefits of psychedelic mushrooms has led to more innovative ways of consuming shrooms to obtain maximum benefits.
One of such ways involves the introduction of magic mushroom edibles like mushroom-infused chocolates, smoothies, and capsules. See our article on the innovative ways of using magic mushrooms.
Meanwhile, this article will focus on psychedelic mushroom chocolate, its benefits, legal status, and more.
What is Magic mushroom chocolate?
Magic mushroom chocolates are chocolates infused with psilocybin or compounds from the psilocybin mushrooms. They are one of the few creative ways to introduce psilocybin into our system. Before the introduction of edibles, magic mushrooms were brewed as tea or used in delicacies.
Psilocybin mushrooms have a bitter or poor taste, and people have tried to cover the taste in many ways. Shroom chocolates are edibles and tend to offer the strongest highs or trips. This is because edibles take longer to digest, and the psilocybin concentration is released slowly into the bloodstream. On average, the effect of magic mushroom edibles should last from 1-6 hours.
How Magic Mushroom chocolates work
Quite a handful of chemical reactions happen after you consume any magic mushroom product. After ingestion, the magic mushroom is mixed with digestive enzymes and is transported to the stomach, where they are acted upon by stomach acid.
The stomach acid will convert psilocybin into psilocin. This takes place 20-40 minutes after consuming psychedelic mushrooms or any psilocybin edibles and can last for up to 6 hours. Psilocin is the active compound in magic mushrooms, and it interacts with the serotonin receptors to produce several therapeutic effects.
There are about 15 serotonin receptors with each receptor responsible for a specific therapeutic role. These receptors are responsible for controlling biological and neurological processes like anxiety, appetite, memory, nausea, sleep, cognition, learning, and thermoregulation (regulation of internal temperature).
The higher the concentration of psilocybin converted to psilocin, the higher the effect of the shroom chocolates experienced. This is often determined by the psilocybin potency (or concentration) in the product. This is why very potent strains like penis envy produce a longer trip since they exhibit a higher psilocybin potency.
Only about 50 percent of the total psilocybin ingested is converted to psilocin and distributed throughout the body to exert its psychedelic properties. The maximum concentration of psilocin is observed approximately 80-100 minutes after consuming any edible psychedelic product. The unconverted psilocybin is excreted in the urine.
After successfully interacting with the receptors, about 65 percent of the total psilocin is excreted in the urine, while about 15-20 percent is excreted in bile and feces. This takes place eight hours after ingesting the psilocybin chocolate. The remaining 10-20 percent of psilocin is retained in the body for longer interaction. This is why it is common to detect psilocin in urine seven days after ingestion.
What are the benefits of psilocybin chocolates?
The activity of magic mushrooms centers on the successful interaction of psilocybin and its sister molecules (psilocin and baeocystin). Regardless of the method of ingestion or administration, it is the dream of every user to ingest an adequate concentration that can interact with receptors in their bodies to produce one effect or the other.
For at least 12,000 years, psilocybin and its sister molecules have been actively involved in spiritual exercises. Apart from producing the usual high or feelings of euphoria, some scientists and clinical trials have demonstrated the possible therapeutic roles of psilocybin in the following conditions:
- Alcohol dependence
- Stimulant dependence
- Cocaine addiction
- Tobacco addiction
- Nicotine addiction
- Opioid addiction
- Cannabis dependence
- Anxiety disorders like Post-traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD), Obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD), and Advanced-stage cancer-related anxiety.
- Cancer-related depression
- Treatment-resistant depression
- Major depressive disorder
- Severe existential depression
- Suicidality (ideation and actual attempts)
- Cluster headaches
- Chronic pain
- Intractable phantom pain
- Demoralization in older, long-term AIDS survivor men
- Dysfunctional social cognition
- Maladaptive narcissism
- Borderline Personality Disorder (BPD)
- Narcissistic Personality Disorder (NPD)
- Emotional dysregulation and violence against one’s partner
Side effects of Psychedelic mushroom chocolates
The side effect of psilocybin mushroom chocolate bars depends on the dosage. Some of the major side effects may include:
- Dilated pupils
- Distorted sense of time, place, and reality
- Hallucinations (visual or auditory)
- Increased blood pressure
- Increased body temperature
- Increased heart rate
- Lack of coordination
- Muscle weakness
- Nausea and vomiting
Users can avoid these side effects by microdosing. Microdosing involves the consumption of very low doses of psychedelic mushrooms. This helps to control the concentration of Psilocybin available for interaction with receptors and ultimately reduces its effect.
Are psychedelic mushroom chocolate bars legal?
The legal status of psychedelic mushroom chocolate bars varies from one region to the other. Psilocybin and psilocin are schedule 1 substances under the Convention of psychotropic substances in the United Nations. While they may have a high likelihood of abuse, psilocybin mushrooms possess many therapeutic benefits that may be useful in treating several diseases. The possession, sale, and transport of psilocybin mushrooms is legal in 11 countries, including Austria, Bahamas, Brazil, Jamaica, and the Netherlands. It is decriminalized in several regions in the United States.
How to make mushroom chocolates
The most straightforward method of creating a magic mushroom-infused chocolate is as described below.
You will need:
- A thoroughly dried magic mushroom strain of your choice.
- Chocolate bars
- A large saucepan
- A glass bowl
- A sharp knife
- Chocolate moulds (if you don’t have moulds you can use a non-stick baking tray)
- Make sure your magic mushrooms are thoroughly dried.
- Cut the magic mushrooms into small pieces with the sharp knife
- Break your chocolate bars into the glass bowl.
- Create a DIY bain-marie by putting some water in the saucepan and placing your glass bowl on it.
- Heat the saucepan and bring the water to boil. The heat from the boiling will melt the chocolate in the glass bowl.
- Allow the chocolate to cool for a few seconds. This is to protect the Psilocybin from being destroyed by heat.
- Add your finely cut mushrooms to the liquid chocolates
- Stir the chocolate to evenly distribute the mushrooms.
- Carefully pour the mushroom chocolate into the moulds and place it in a fridge to cool and set.
- Enjoy your mushroom chocolate once it is cool.
Need a little more Bluntness in your life? Subscribe for our newsletter to stay in the loop.