In this edition of Cooking with Cannabis, Chef Sebastian Carosi - the short -order cannabis revolutionary - gives The Bluntness his recipe for Couve Donkey
The Couve Donkey
- Servings: 1 cocktail
- Total THC/CBD: Depends on the potency of the products used
- Prep time: 8 minutes
Note From Chef Carosi
Several years ago, I owned and operated an award-winning craft cocktail bar in downtown Vancouver, Washington, just across the Columbia River from Portland, Oregon. It was a ruckus craft cocktail joint that offered local farm-to-fork driven, white-trash, trailer park, dive bar cuisine with a southern influence; not only on the food and beverages, but on the attitudes as well.
Chef Carosi offered a menu of infused cannabis cocktail and edibles way back then, in the basement speakeasy style, with secret passwords and all. Another little-known secret was, the ‘Couve Donkey, a classic play on the classic LA creation of the 1940s for $5, yep, $5. A play on the Moscow Mule, but cannabis infused. Mine contain 5-10 mg of THC, the others didn't. Those black-market days are long gone as the Washington I-502 regulators took over and cannabis became recreationally legal.
We all know that none of the bureaucrats are going to let cannabis and alcohol meet in a bottle. So, make your own cannabis infused bourbon or rye. Enjoy this refreshing, terpene fortified beverage any time of year while with friends or family.
- 16oz mason jar or glass
- bar spoon
- fine mesh strainer
- medium saucepan
- microplane grater
- empty wine bottle
- 2oz cannabis infused bourbon, whiskey or rye (made in the mb2e by magical butter)
- 2oz ginger + madrone syrup (recipe below)
- 2oz fresh squeezed lime juice
- 2-3 dashes orange bitters
- top with good quality ginger ale
How To Make It
1. Fill a 16oz mason jar or glass ¾ full of crushed ice.
2. Then add all the above ingredients.
3. Stir well.
4. Top off with ginger ale, stir well.
5. Garnish with fresh cannabis or hemp leaves, and a fresh lime wheel.
Recipe For Ginger & Madrone Syrup
- 1-quart organic cane sugar
- 1 cup cannabis infused sugar (made in the mb2e by magical butter)
- 1 cup cannabis infused local honey (made in the mb2e by magical butter)
- 22 grams madrone bark (optional)
- 1 cup fresh grated ginger root
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 1 qt water
How To Make Syrup
1. Place all the above ingredients in a medium saucepan over low heat.
2. Let steep for 45 minutes and then cool for 1 hour then repeat steeping for another 45 minutes on low.
3. Let cool for 3 hours then strain and bottle.
Need more cannabis-infused cooking inspiration? Here are 5 of our Favorite Cannabis Cookbooks to Satisfy Your Weed & Culinary Senses!