In this edition of Cooking with Cannabis, Chef Sebastian Carosi - the short -order cannabis revolutionary - gives The Bluntness his recipe for Curries Sweet Potato & Salted Peanut Puree.
Sweet Potato & Salted Peanut Puree
- Servings: 4-6
- Total THC/CBD: Depends on the potency of the products used
- Prep time: 20 minutes
- Cook time: 1 hour
Note From Chef Carosi
As a former hippie and working professional chef with deep roots in the American Farm-to-Fork movement, it is great to see the cannabis plant move into the mainstream and onto the dinner table. This recipe utilizes not only cannabis-infused coconut oil, and cannabis-infused quality maple syrup, it also takes advantage of decarboxylated (activated) fresh kief.
Roasted sweet potatoes and salted peanuts mingle with curry paste and coconut milk to create an incredibly velvety smooth bowl of soup. Please don’t spend too much time with the sweet potato and yam debate… use whichever you choose.
Whether you use salted or roasted peanuts, they are going right in the pot to make this soup… After you let it simmer for a short 35-40 minutes, it is best to let this soup rest for 30 minutes or so before puréeing in a high-speed blender. Be sure to thoroughly purée the soup, making it velvety smooth. If you need to thin it out any, be sure to re-season every time you add liquid.
Although it may give a fall soup vibe, this curried cannabis sweet potato purée is best anytime you make it. I hope you enjoy this soup as much as I love an excuse to make copious amounts of cannabis-infused maple syrup lacquered bacon…!
- chef’s knife
- cutting board
- small whisk
- small stainless-steel mixing bowl
- medium soup pot
- large spoon
- lined baking sheet
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger (fine diced)
- 5 cloves garlic (peeled and crushed)
- ¼ cup sweet onion (small diced)
- 4 carrots (peeled and small diced)
- 2 cups roasted garnet yam pulp (peeled) (approx. 2 large, sweet potatoes)
- ¼ cup cannabis infused coconut oil (made in the mb2e)
- ½ tsp cracked black pepper
- ½ cup dry roasted salted peanuts
- 1½ tsp jacobsen kosher salt
- 1½ quarts water (or chicken stock)
- ¼ gram decarboxylated kief (optional)
- 1 cup full fat coconut milk
- 1 tbsp yellow curry paste
- 2 tbsp dark brown sugar
- ¼ tsp coriander
- ¼ cup greek yogurt
- ½ tsp fresh cannabis pollen
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 1 tsp fine rasped ginger
- ¼ cup salted dry roasted peanuts (crushed)
- 6-8 small fresh mint leaves
- 1 tbsp cannabis-infused maple syrup (made in the mb2e)
- 4-6 crispy cannabis maple lacquered bacon rashers (size of bacon rasher is up to you)
- 1 tsp cracked black pepper
How To Make It
1. In an oven, roast the whole sweet potatoes at 375º for 1 hour.
2. Cool sweet potatoes, peel, discard peels and set aside pulp.
3. In the soup pot, add the cannabis coconut oil and over low heat, sweat the ginger, garlic, onion, and carrots until onions are translucent (about 10 to 15 minutes).
4. Add the curry paste and peanuts to the veggies, mixing thoroughly. sauté on low for 5-6 minutes.
5. Add the water, coconut milk, salt, and pepper, kief, coriander, and sweet potato pulp. simmer on low for 35-40 minutes.
6. Adjust seasoning and make sure you are happy with the desired consistency.
8. For the yogurt garnish mix the yogurt, sour cream, and cannabis pollen, with the ginger and refrigerate.
9. For the bacon garnish cook the pepper-seasoned bacon rashers in an oven to the desired doneness, brushing several times with the cannabis maple syrup.
10. Serve the soup hot, garnished with a little gingered cream, crushed peanuts, and a maple lacquered bacon rasher.
Need more cannabis-infused cooking inspiration? Here are5 of our Favorite Cannabis Cookbooks to Satisfy Your Weed & Culinary Senses!