In this edition of Cooking with Cannabis, Chef Sebastian Carosi - the short -order cannabis revolutionary - gives The Bluntness his recipe for Cream of Forrest Foraged Mushrooms.
Cream of Forrest Foraged Mushrooms
- Servings: 6
- Total THC/CBD: Depends on the potency of the products used
- Prep time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
Note From Chef Carosi
Eating and foraging your way around the Pacific Northwest will lead you to some hot spots. Some of my favorite hot spots here in the Pacific Northwest are the Long Beach Peninsula, the Olympic Peninsula and the areas around Mt Hood and Mt Saint Helens.
For many years I’ve foraged King Boletes, Pacific Golden Chanterelles, Morels, Saffron Milk Caps, and Azzies; better known to the mycological world as Psilocybe azurescens. Azzies just happen to be the most psilocybin dense wild mushroom on the planet. Easily recognized by their small brownish tops, the true test is the bluing on the stems shortly after being plucked from the sandy ground.
This simple cream of wild forest forage wild mushroom soup is a true example of what people mean when they say that a certain dish has a true taste of place. Every time I make or consume this soup, it quickly reminds me of where the evergreen forests meet the tumultuous Pacific Ocean and the wild azzies dance through the dune grass. I kept the dosage low to keep for an adventurous and super mellow afternoon or evening you can easily increase the dose to your liking.
- chef’s knife
- cutting board
- high speed blender or immersion blender
- medium sauce pot
- small sauté pan
- bowls to serve the soup
- 2 tbsp cannabis infused bacon fat (made in the mb2e)
- 1 tbsp cannabis infused creamery butter (made in the mb2e)
- 7 cloves garlic (peeled, crushed, and rough chopped)
- 1 large, sweet onion (peeled and small diced)
- 1½ lbs misc. wild mushrooms such as chanterelles, morels, or porcinis (rough chopped)
- ½ cup caramelized onions
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ tsp fresh rosemary (fine chopped)
- 2 tsp fresh thyme leaves
- ¼ cup dry mushroom mix (crush in your hands)
- ¼ gram dry psilocybin mushroom
- 1 tbsp cannabis infused balsamic vinegar (made in the mb2e)
- 1 tbsp Jacobsen kosher salt
- 1 tsp fresh cracked black pepper
- 6 cups mushrooms stock, chicken stock, or water
- 1½ cups heavy cream
- 2 cups thick sliced or torn misc. wild mushrooms
- 3 thyme sprigs, top leaves for garnish
- 2 tbsp cannabis infused creamery butter (made in the mb2e)
- kosher salt and cracked black pepper
How To Make It
1. In the saucepan over medium-low heat, add the bacon fat and butter then the raw onions and garlic. Sweat until the onions have just turned translucent.
2. Then add the freshly sliced mushroom mix, rosemary, thyme, and sauté over medium heat for 8-10 minutes. Stirring occasionally, add the flour to create a roux stirring well to combine.
3. Add the stock, dry mushroom mix, caramelized onions, salt and pepper, balsamic vinegar, simmer over medium to low heat for 25-30 minutes stirring occasionally. (if the mixture is looking like it needs a little extra liquid, I would add additional stock now)
4. Add the psilocybin mushrooms and simmer for an additional 15 minutes.
5. In a high-speed blender or with a handheld immersion blender, puree the soup to your desired consistency adding back to an empty pot.
6. Stir in heavy cream and adjust the seasonings with additional salt, pepper, balsamic, and thyme if desired.
7. Keep the soup warm and ready to serve.
8. For the garnish sauté the thick-cut mushrooms of your choice in butter until butter is slightly brown and nutty. When done, add the fresh thyme leaves and stir to combine well. Remove from heat.
9. Garnish each bowl of soup with several sautéed mushrooms, pan drippings, and thyme sprigs.
10. Serve soup hot.
Need more cannabis-infused cooking inspiration? Here are5 of our Favorite Cannabis Cookbooks to Satisfy Your Weed & Culinary Senses!