With the legalization of recreational marijuana in New York, some individuals may question the necessity of obtaining a medical cannabis card. However, there are exclusive benefits that come with having a medical card in New York, even though recreational use is now legal.
The Bluntness explores the advantages of obtaining a medical card in New York and outlines the process for acquiring one:
1. Increased Possession Limits
One significant advantage of having a medical card in New York is the ability to possess more marijuana than recreational consumers. While recreational users are limited to three ounces of cannabis and 24 grams of concentrated cannabis, patients with a medical card can legally possess up to a 60-day supply of medical marijuana. This higher possession limit means fewer trips to the dispensary, providing convenience and uninterrupted access to medication.
Access to Medical Marijuana Outside New YorkOne noteworthy benefit of obtaining a medical card in New York is the concept of reciprocity. Reciprocity allows medical cardholders to purchase and use medical marijuana in other states that recognize this program. Although not all states with medical marijuana programs have reciprocity, having a medical card in New York can unlock access to medical cannabis when traveling to states that do participate in reciprocity. This flexibility ensures continuity of treatment and convenience for patients on the go. There are 13 states that accept out of state medical cards, these include: Arizona, Arkansas, Maine, Massachusetts, Michigan, Missouri, Montana, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, Oklahoma, Utah and Washington, D.C.
3. Access to Marijuana for Individuals Under 21
While the legal age to purchase recreational marijuana in New York is 21, individuals under that age can still access the therapeutic benefits of marijuana through a medical card. The age limit for obtaining a New York medical cannabis card is 18, and patients under 18 can have a caregiver apply on their behalf. This inclusivity allows younger individuals to benefit from medical marijuana treatments and experience relief from qualifying medical conditions.
4. Cost Savings
One of the most notable advantages of obtaining a medical card in New York is the potential for substantial cost savings. Although there are fees associated with obtaining a medical card and undergoing a doctor's appointment, the amount saved through reduced taxes on purchases can offset these expenses. Medical marijuana in New York is taxed at 7%, whereas recreational marijuana carries a 13% retail tax. This 6% tax difference can result in significant savings, making the medical card financially advantageous. Moreover, medical dispensaries offer additional incentives like discounts, loyalty programs, and special sales promotions, further reducing the overall cost of medication.
The Process of Obtaining a Medical Cannabis Card in New York.
Now that the benefits of having a medical cannabis card in New York are clear, let's explore the process of obtaining one.
- Find a Licensed New York Marijuana Doctor: Begin by finding a licensed New York marijuana doctor who can evaluate your eligibility for a medical card. There are several options that provide telehealth appointments with licensed physicians, ensuring a convenient and efficient evaluation process.
- Obtain Physician Certification: During the appointment, the physician will assess your medical condition and determine if it qualifies under the state's criteria for medical marijuana. If deemed eligible, you will receive a physician certification, which is a crucial document for the subsequent steps.
- Complete the Application: Visit https://my.ny.gov/ and create an account to begin the New York medical cannabis card application process. Follow the instructions carefully, providing accurate information and attaching the required documents, including the physician certification.
- Await Approval: After submitting your application, you will need to wait for its processing and approval. The duration may vary, so exercise patience during this stage. Once approved, you will receive your medical cannabis card, granting you legal access to medical marijuana.
Obtaining a medical cannabis card in New York offers exclusive benefits that recreational consumers do not have access to. From increased possession limits to reciprocity opportunities and access for individuals under 21, there are compelling reasons to pursue a medical card in New York. Additionally, the cost savings through reduced taxes and incentives offered by medical dispensaries further enhance the appeal of obtaining a medical card.
By following the outlined steps and working with licensed professionals you can navigate the process seamlessly and enjoy the benefits of medical cannabis in a safe and legal manner in more and more parts of the country.