In this edition of Cooking with Cannabis, Chef Nick E of The Herbal Creative KiTHCen gives The Bluntness his recipe for Infused Empanadas with with Fresh Mozzarella Cheese and Smoked Apple Chutney.
Infused Empanada de Yuca con Queso y Manzana Ahumado
- Servings: 8-12
- Dosing: Approximately 12mg per serving with Doc Holiday Flower
- Bask TAC: 19.6% THCA: 18.6%
A note from Chef Nick
As you prepare for the holiday season, I wanted to share one of my favorite bites that I feature at every holiday party, and is also a staple in Dominican campo cooking. On the way to Moca (my grandfather’s farm), there is a roadside spot that makes these empanadas from scratch with multiple fillings made from the braised plant of yucca, which he has acres of covered on his land. Yucca has a similar leaf structure to Cannabis, and we make this dough (or masa) with the root of the plant. It reminds me of family gatherings and the holidays -and I’m happy to share it with all of you in time for your festive meals. Enjoy!
Empanada Filling Ingredients
- (1) 8 oz ball of fresh local mozzarella
- 4 apples peeled and cored
- ½ cup sugar
- Pinch of salt
- Zest of half a lemon and juice
- ½ cinnamon stick
- 1 star anise
- ¼ tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1 gram of decarboxylated Bask flower
Empanada Filling Recipe
- Turn on the smoker (if desired) to 150 degrees with desired wood chips.
- Place prepared apples in a perforated pan and into the smoker with heavy smoke for about 7-10 minutes. If you prefer not to smoke your apples, bake at 350 for 7-10 minutes until tender.
- Remove from the perforated pan, dice the apples, then transfer into a small saucepot with remaining ingredients.
- Over Medium heat simmer the diced smoked apples and spices with the Bask flower and cook down until jammy consistency about 20 minutes and your chutney will be completely infused.
- Remove from pan and allow to cool before adding to empanadas.
- 3lbs yucca/cassava root
- 2 Tbsp water (Harpoon Extracts - hash water)
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp Dominican oregano
Recipe for Empanada de Yuca con Queso y Manzana Ahumado
- Peel and discard brown coating of the yucca root, then using a box grater, grate yucca root into a fine pulp.
- Remove any tough and fibrous parts of the yucca root and discard, then squeeze as much water and moisture out of the pulp as you can using a strainer or cheesecloth.
- In a large pan on low heat with the 1 tsp olive oil and grated yucca and the 2 Tbs of hash water, paprika, oregano, and salt, and mix with a wooden spoon and cook for about 5-7 minutes. (This will allow the dough to form)
- When the dough is slightly tacky but still dry, remove it from the pan and place it on a clean surface.
- Separate dough into 4-8 equal parts depending on the size desired of the pastelitos.
- Place portioned dough in between two sheets of parchment paper and using a rolling pin, roll out the dough into circles about a ¼ inch thick.
- Fill the center with a slice of the fresh mozzarella and a dollop of the infused smoked apple chutney and form into a half-moon, crimping the edges with a fork so that it is completely sealed. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Now you can freeze these babies for later use, or fry them in 350-degree hot oil, until brown and crispy and enjoy.
Need more cannabis-infused cooking inspiration? Here are 5 of our Favorite Cannabis Cookbooks to Satisfy Your Weed & Culinary Senses!